Turkish Minister of Transport and Infrastructure Abdulkadir Oraloğlu said during the agreement ceremony held on the sidelines of the "Global Transport Corridors" Forum held at the Istanbul Congress Center: "We want trucks to depart from Turkey by land to reach Iraq, then Kuwait and Jordan, as the first stage of the "development road."
He added: "We have made a preliminary start. This is a rehearsal for the development road. We have thus implemented the initial project to maintain the vitality of the corridors." We will track trucks departing from Turkey."
Nasser Al-Asadi, the Prime Minister's Advisor for Transport Affairs, said that Iraq aims to connect the East and the West through its territory.
He added, "We fully support the development path and congratulate Turkey. This is the first step, and we look forward to the next steps."
For her part, Tatiana Mulcian, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, stated that today was a successful day for the forum, expressing her desire to attend the e-truck section next year.
IRU Secretary-General Umberto de Pretto emphasized the importance of this project for the Iraqi people, as their products will reach global markets quickly and safely.
The transit route through Iraq had been closed to transport operations since 2003 due to the Gulf War, which prevented transit transport through Iraq.
With Baghdad implementing the truck system, the transit route was reopened. Three vehicles departed on June 25th to transport goods to Kuwait via Iraq, marking the first direct transport to Kuwait in 22 years.
Since the transit route through Syria has been closed since 2011 due to the events there, direct land transport to Jordan was not possible.
Yesterday, Friday, a truck carrying goods from Germany departed for Jordan via the Turkey-Iraq route, marking the first land transport. Direct to Jordan for 14 years. /End
ليصلك المزيد من الأخبار اشترك بقناتنا على التليغرام